STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS WITH SPINACH AND FETA
These easy stuffed portobello mushrooms with spinach, feta and sautéed garlic are marinated in balsamic vinegar and make an absolutely perfect veggie side dish, or even first course! With only a few main ingredients, you’ll find these mushrooms don’t require any other bells and whistles to be fabulous, flavorful show stoppers.
Author: Shekeepsalovelyhome/Photo credit to shekeepsalovelyhome.com
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 3 cups fresh spinach – chopped
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- 3 tbsp. feta cheese – crumbled
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil – for marinade, and 3 tbsp. for pan
- garlic powder – just a sprinkle
- sage spice – just a sprinkle
- salt & pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove as much of the portobello stems from 2 portobello caps as you can without damaging the caps. You don’t have to remove the mushroom gills. In a medium-size mixing bowl, pour ¼ cup olive oil and 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with garlic powder and sage spice. Gently coat the mushrooms in the mixture and set aside to marinate.
- Mince 4 garlic cloves and set aside.
- Remove the stems from 3 cups of fresh spinach and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Add 3 tbsp. olive oil to a frying pan and brown minced garlic for 3-4 minutes.
- Place chopped spinach right on top of the garlic and allow it to wilt down and sauté for 4-5 minutes. As it wilts, gently stir into the garlic and oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and set aside when done.
- Place mushroom caps face down in a pyrex or baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pyrex and pour out any liquid if any released. Gently turn caps over and stuff with spinach.
- Sprinkle about 3 tbsp. of crumbled feta cheese (1½ tbsp. each) on top of the spinach. Bake for 20 minutes more and serve.