Gram’s Calzone with Sausage and Cheese
Friday is usually pizza day in our house, from my Best Pizza Dough to this simple Calzone Recipe.
Author: Anitalianinmykitchen/Photo credit to anitalianinmykitch.com
- 1 pound store bought pizza dough (1/2 kilo)
- 2-3 Italian Sausages (large) (remove the casing, approximately 2 cups chopped)
- ½-1 tablespoon fennel seed (optional)
- pinch of salt
- dash of paprika (I use a dash of hot pepper flakes)
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups shredded mozzarella (200 grams, firm not fresh)
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella for the topping (30 grams, firm not fresh)
- Preheat oven to 400F° (200C°) degrees.
- In a medium frying pan sauté the sausage, fennel (if using), salt and paprika until brown, drain off fat and let cool.
- When cool mix together the meat mixture, raw egg and mozzarella cheese (1¾ cups).
- Un roll the pizza dough (9x10" / 24x26 cm) and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet , sprinkle with the sausage cheese mixture. Roll up, brush the top with a little olive oil and sprinkle with the ¼ cup shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in a 400° (200°) oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until browned. Let sit 3 minutes then slice. Enjoy!