Skinny Alfredo the lighter version of your favorite indulgent meal.
Recipe type: Main
- 12 oz. whole-wheat linguine
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ c. 1% milk
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly chopped parsley, for serving
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook linguine according to package directions until al dente. Set aside ½ cup of pasta water, then drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over evenly, then stir and cook until mixture is lightly golden.
- Very gradually add broth in while whisking, 2 tablespoons at a time, waiting for mixture to become completely smooth before adding more broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then gradually stream in milk while whisking. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan and yogurt, if using. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Add pasta and a ¼ cup reserved pasta water to sauce and toss to combine. If sauce is too thick add more pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.