LOW-CARB EASY CHEESY ZUCCHINI BAKE
You’ll love this Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake which is the most popular zucchini recipe of all the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on my blog!
Author: Kalynskitchen/Photo credit to kalynskitchen.com
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 4 T chopped fresh basil (more or less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- ½ cup coarsely grated Parmesan, plus a little more for the top if desired
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8" x 8" or 8" x 11" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I originally used the small size, but now I prefer a slightly bigger dish.)
- Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices.
- Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. (I used a mini salad spinner (affiliate link) to dry the basil and Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut into thin slices.)
- Slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, ½ grated mozzarella and ½ cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Pierce a piece of zucchini with a fork to be sure it's mostly tender.)
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining ½ cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired.
- Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
- This kept well in the fridge overnight, but mine was gone the next day so I don't know if it would last longer than that!