Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Perfectly Crispy Baked buffalo wings smothered in an easy homemade buffalo sauce. So simple to make - they'll be a total hit for any party table!
Author: Kitchensanctuary/Photo credit to kitchensanctuary.com
- Crispy Chicken Wings:
- ▢2.2 lbs (1 kg) chicken wings
- ▢2 level tbsp aluminium-free baking powder (It has to be baking powder - NOT baking soda - see further notes on baking powder below
- ▢½ tsp salt - make sure it's regular table salt
- ▢½ tsp pepper
- Buffalo Wings Sauce:
- ▢⅔ cup (150ml) Frank’s hot sauce
- ▢½ cup (120g) unsalted butter
- ▢1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ▢1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ▢2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
- ▢1 tbsp honey
- ▢¼ tsp salt
- Blue cheese sauce
- ▢½ cup (120g) sour cream
- ▢3 tbsp mayo
- ▢⅓ cup (75g) soft blue cheese (use Roquefort, or you can use Saint Agur blue crème for a milder taste)
- ▢½ tbsp cider vinegar
- ▢½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ▢a pinch of dried parsley
- To Serve:
- ▢2 medium carrots - peeled and cut into 2-inch (5cpieces
- ▢2 sticks celery - cut into 2-inch (5cpieces
- Preheat the oven to 120C/250F and place a rack on a large baking tray.
- Cut each wing at the joint so you have a mini wing and a drumette. Dry the wings with paper towels, then place in a large bowl and add the baking powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Note - it's important to dry the wings first so they only get a light coating. Discard any remaining coating once tossed together.
- Place in a single layer on the rack, skin side up. It's fine for them to be touching. Place on the lower shelf of the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven up to 220C/425F and rotate the tray for even cooking. Cook for a further 45-50 minutes until the wings are lightly golden and crispy. Take out of the oven to cool slightly.
- To make the buffalo sauce, place the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, honey and salt in a pan. Place over a medium-high heat and bring to a gentle simmer whilst stirring. Turn off the heat.
- Mix the blue cheese sauce ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Toss the buffalo sauce with the wings and serve with the blue cheese sauce, carrots and celery.