Irish Colcannon Soup Recipe
Irish Colcannon Soup is a hearty version of a classic Irish recipe. Made with potatoes, cabbage, onions, cream and butter, this piping hot soup will keep your insides warm and your spirits high this Winter.
Author: Fusioncraftiness/Photo credit to fusioncraftiness.com
- 3 Tbs salted butter
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced (2 cups)
- ½ lb chopped cabbage
- 4 medium starchy potatoes (1½ lb) peeled & chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups whole milk or half & half
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- In large pot add butter and onions. Cook over medium heat until soft. Add cabbage and cook until cabbage wilts.
- Add potatoes, broth & black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, process soup until thick but slightly chunky. You may use a food processor instead. If you have a small food processor, you may need to do this in batches. You can use a blender (see note below) but it will change the texture of the soup.
- Add milk to pot, bring to simmer and serve with Irish Soda Bread.