Greek Butter Beans Recipe
Do you like beans? If you nodded yes to yourself then you are at the right place. Butter beans or also known as Lima beans are a 100% tastier than plain white beans. They are bigger in size that’s why we call them “Gigantes” in Greek which means Giants.
Author: Realgreekrecipes/Photo credit to realgreekrecipes.com
- 500 grams /17.6 oz dried butters beans
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 small carrots cut in slices
- 2 large garlic clove
- 1 large fresh tomato chopped
- 65 grams / 2.2 oz tomato paste
- a handful of parsley
- a handful of fresh dill
- Preparation 1 day before:
- Fill a large cooking pot with tepid water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and add the butter beans. Let them soak for 24 hours before cooking.
- Cooking Method:
- Drain butter beans in a strainer.
- In a large cooking pot add 3 liters of water and the butter beans. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 hours or untill butter beans are completely soft.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic and sliced carrots. Cook till soft and golden in color. Add the chopped tomatoes and fresh herbs. Cook for 2-3 minutes stiring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer mixture into the pot with the butter beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring heat to high and cook for approximately 10 minutes until sauce starts to thicken slightly. Preheat oven to 220°C/428°F.
- Transfer beans to a large baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes