GRILLED ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD
A simple and delicious Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad elevated with some smoky crispy pancetta (or bacon), grilled lemon, and grilled baguette slices to sub for croutons.
Author: Vindulge/Photo credit to vindulge.com
- 2 hearts of romaine, sliced in half lengthwise
- ▢2 lemons, cut in half
- ▢½ baguette, (we use gluten free) sliced on a bias in ¼ inch slices
- ▢extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE GRILLED LEMON CAESAR DRESSING:
- ▢2 anchovies
- ▢2 garlic cloves
- ▢½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ▢½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ▢3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ▢¼ cup grilled lemon juice (approx 1 large lemon)
- ▢2 egg yolks
- ▢½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ▢½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- ▢Parmesan Cheese
- ▢Crispy pancetta or bacon
- ▢Grilled Chicken
- ▢Grilled Salmon
- Preheat grill for indirect cooking. (As you cook, you want to have a cool side, in case you need to move the greens or bread over if they start cooking too quickly)
- Drizzle bread with olive oil (a light coating).
- Place the romaine hearts, lemons, and baguette slices on the grill on direct heat and cook approximately 2 minutes per side, flipping often. Stay close, these will all cook at slightly different times. Remove when the bread has a nice toast, the lemons have darkened and have a nice char (see pictures), and the romaine has a nice char (but not burnt).
- Remove from grill. Serve with the Grilled Lemon Caesar Dressing, parmesan cheese, and optional proteins (we vote for crispy bacon or grilled chicken).
- TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
- Place the anchovies, garlic, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese in the food processor and grind until they turn into a paste. Then add the wet ingredients (the grilled lemon juice, egg yolks, Dijon mustard, and olive oil). Blend on low until it emulsifies. This will take at least a minute, on low.