Easy Tteokbokki (Korean Spicy Rice Cakes)
This quick & easy Tteokbokki recipe features soft and chewy rice cakes smothered in an irresistibly delicious sauce, to give you an intense burst of umami flavor in every bite. This one-pan meal is delightfully easy to make yet loaded with comforting flavors to pamper your tastebuds.
Author: Cookerru/Photo credit to cookerru.com
- 3 cups water, anchovy stock, or dashi see notes below
- 400 g rice cake thawed if frozen
- 2 sheets Korean fish cake defrosted and cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 green onion cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 soft-boiled eggs optional
- Tteokbokki Sauce
- 2 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean chili powder) more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey rice syrup or corn syrup
- 3 tbsp Gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add rice cakes and sauce. Stir around the skillet to combine, and boil for about 8-10 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Add fish cake, green onion, and eggs, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!