Japanese Omelette Rice
This quick & easy Omurice recipe features savory ketchup fried rice wrapped in a soft and luscious egg omelette to give you a burst of flavor in every bite. This simple and delicious omelette rice is the ultimate comfort food for the weekdays and one that your whole family will love.
Author: Cookerru/Photo credit to cookerru.com
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- ½ green onion white parts
- ¼ onion diced
- ¼ cup (30 g) carrot diced
- 100 g spam or your choice of meat or veggies
- 2-3 (50 g) button mushrooms diced
- 1 cup cooked rice preferably day-old (see notes below)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
- ketchup and parsley (optional) for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, and add green onion and onion. Cook until fragrant. Add carrot, spam, and mushroom, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice, soy sauce, and ketchup and mix to combine, ensuring all grains are evenly coated. Add to a small bowl and press down to shape the rice.
- Combine eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and pour in the egg mixture. Lightly scramble for a few seconds until the eggs are about 80% cooked through, and remove from heat.
- Place a large plate over the bowl of rice, hold it in the center, and flip carefully to plate the rice in a dome shape. Cover the rice with the egg omelette, and garnish with ketchup and parsley to serve. Enjoy!