Crispy fried wontons stuffed with a delicious crab and cream cheese filling. This is the best crab rangoon recipe and it’s totally addictive.
Author: Christieathome/Photo credit to christieathome.com
- 18 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups vegetable oil or neutral tasting oil
- water for wrapping wontons
- 140 grams imitation crab meat or real crab meat
- 125 grams cream cheese (I used Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese)
- 1 tbsp green onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp regular soy sauce not light or dark soy sauce!
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp white granulated sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Chop imitation crab meat into 2 cm wide pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, soften room temperature cream cheese with a spatula until smooth.
- Add imitation crab meat into your bowl of cream cheese, along with the rest of filling ingredients as listed.
- With a fork, mix very well until crab meat breaks down.
- Add ¾ tbsp of the filling into the center of the wonton wrapper. Using your fingers, dab a bit water along the edges of the wrapper.
- Then lift two opposing corners of the wrapper and pinch only the tip of it.
- Then lift the adjacent corners and seal them. Make sure to pinch them very well to prevent leakage as you fry, especially the tip of the wonton. (See step by step images in above blog post.
- In your pan, add oil and bring to medium heat or 325 F. Once oil is hot, add crab rangoons in two separate batches. Do not overcrowd the oil. Fry 2 minutes on both sides, until golden brown. Remove and transfer to cooling rack or a paper towel lined plate.
- Allow this to cool down a bit before enjoying. Serve with store bought sweet chili sauce or any sauce of your liking.