Classic Chinese Duck Sauce
Chinese duck sauce is made with plums, apricots, sugar, and spices. It is a condiment served with duck, chicken, pork, and spareribs. It is also often referred to as plum sauce.
Author: Thespruceeats/Photo credit to thespruceeats.com
- For the Fruit Mixture:
- 1 pound plums, halved and pitted
- 1 pound apricots, halved and pitted
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- For the Brown Sugar Mixture:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- For the Spice Mixture:
- ¼ cup peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 serrano chile pepper, or more to taste, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Gather the ingredients.
- Classic Chinese Duck Sauce ingredients
- Place the plums, apricots, 1 cup cider vinegar, water, and balsamic vinegar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer it uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Place the plums, apricots, cider vinegar, water, and balsamic vinegar in a saucepan
- Place 1 cup of cider vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar, and lemon juice in a separate saucepan. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and let it bubble for 10 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Place cider vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan
- Add the brown sugar mixture to the fruit mixture, along with the ginger, onion, chile, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 45 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- sauce cooking in a saucepan
- Pour the mixture into a food processor and puree it until smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- duck sauce in a food processor
- Return it to the saucepan and simmer until thickened.
- blended sauce in a saucepan
- Sterilize a quart-size canning jar or 2 pint-size canning jars by boiling in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- jars in a pot with water
- Place the duck sauce in the sterilized canning jar. Cap loosely and let cool to room temperature. Tighten cap and store in in the refrigerator at least two weeks before using.
- Classic Chinese Duck Sauce in a jar
- Serve your duck sauce/plum sauce as a condiment with duck, chicken, pork, and spareribs. You can use it whenever you see duck sauce called for in a recipe for noodle or rice dishes.