Delicious Strawberry Filled Heart-Shaped Doughnuts!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 190ml whole milk, lukewarm
- 50g sugar
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 500g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 80g butter, softened
- 180g dark chocolate
- 170g water
- 500g frozen strawberries
- 150g sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 150g sugar, to toss
- 7g freeze dried strawberries
- Add your milk, sugar and yeast to a large bowl. Whisk to combine, then leave to sit for 5 mins whilst your yeast blooms.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add your flour, salt and butter and stir to combine.
- Turn your mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 mins until you have a soft, smooth dough.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, add your chocolate and water to a saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Pour your melted chocolate into a bowl set over an ice bath. With a hand whisk, beat your chocolate mixture until it is pale brown and resembles whipped cream. Set aside.
- Add your strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a saute pan over a medium heat. Cook for 5 in until your sugar has melted and your strawberries are softened. Add your cornflour slurry and cook for 2 mins until your mixture is thick.
- Push your strawberry jam through a potato masher into a bowl to remove any large lumps. Leave to cool.
- Turn your risen dough out onto your surface and roll out to about ½ inch thick. Using a large heart shaped cutter, cut out your dough. Place on a lined baking sheet, over with a tea towel and leave to rise for 20 mins until doubled in size
- Heat oil to 170°C. Carefully place your donuts in the oil a couple at a time and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Toss your donuts in sugar and freeze dried strawberries to coat them, then place on a rack to cool.
- Cut an incision in the side of each of your donuts, then pipe your chocolate and strawberry mixtures inside.
- Serve and enjoy!