TO DIE FOR COCONUT CREAM PIE
This to-die-for Coconut Cream Pie has a dreamy homemade, sweet coconut custard filling and it’s topped with plenty of whipped cream.
Author: Beyondfrosting/Photo credit to beyondfrosting.com
- 1 pie crust, prepared
- For the filling:
- 2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- For the topping:
- 1 ¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2–3 tablespoons corn starch
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Prepare a 9-inch pie crust and blind bake according to the instructions. Be sure to poke hole the bottom of the crust with a fork and bake with pie weights or dry beans to prevent the crust from shrinking. Cool the crust completely.
- For the filling: In a small bowl gently whisk 2 egg yolks and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the flour, granulated sugar, flour, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk and coconut extract.
- Heat over medium-low heat. Start by continuously stirring to dissolve the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the filling is warm to the touch but not boiling.
- Take about ¼ cup of the pudding and whisk into the egg yolks to temper the egg yolks. Pour the egg yolks back into the pudding and whisk to combine.
- Continue stirring until the pudding starts to bubble lightly and thicken. Pour the pudding through a fine sieve into a medium-sized bowl. The pudding will be thick but you can use a whisk or spatula to help push it through the sieve. Optional: strain a second time through the sieve, washing in between.
- Prior to pouring the pudding into the pie crust, stir in 1 cup sweetened coconut. Then pour the filling into the baked pie crust. Cover the top of the pudding with saran wrap, gently pressing onto the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate 2-4 hours until it’s completely cold.
- For the topping: Prepare the whipped cream. Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens. Slowly add the corn starch and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the saran wrap and spread the whipped cream over the pudding or use a large piping tip to decorate the pie. Garnish with toasted coconut. This pie must be refrigerated.