Portuguese Custard Tarts
So fantastically tasty!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 270 grams caster sugar
- 160 milliliters water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250 milliliters milk
- 150 milliliters double cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 35 grams corn flour
- 500 grams puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- In a small pan, place the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 3 minutes and set aside.
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the egg yolks, whole egg, vanilla extract, and corn flour. Whisk until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Temper the egg mixture by introducing the hot milk and cream in two 100 milliliter batches, then whisk.
- Pour in the remaining milk and cream to the egg mixture, whisking continually.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Whisk continually until mixture thickens. Turn off heat.
- Remove cinnamon stick from the syrup and slowly trickle into the custard, whisking continually.
- Lightly flour a work surface and cut puff pastry into 12 equal pieces.
- To a lightly greased muffin tin, push each piece of puff pastry down and up into the sides of the muffin holes until evenly distributed.
- Pour custard into each muffin tin so each one is three quarters full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden and brown.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!