Welsh Anglesey Eggs for House Banefort
Have you ever tried the Welsh Anglesey Eggs dish? It’s a simple yet hearty vegetarian recipe made with mashed potatoes, leeks, eggs, and a cheddar sauce.
Author: Cultureatz/Photo credit to cultureatz.com
- 10 hard boiled eggs peeled and halved
- 1.5 pound potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- 4 large leeks washed, chopped
- 2 cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 6 oz grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt pepper, thyme and basil, to taste
- Chop and cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain well and mash them. Beat in half the butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In another pan boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes. Run over cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel and half the eggs.
- Boil the leeks in a pan of boiling water for 5-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and stir into the mashed potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter. Spoon mashed potato mix into the dish.
- In a saucepan melt the butter over a low heat, whisk in the flour continuously for 1-2 minutes, until well combined. Whisk in vigorously the warm milk, bring to a boil, and simmer until the sauce is thick and smooth. Add the nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in most of the cheese until melted.
- Lay the eggs ace up on top of the potatoes. Cover with the sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Add a little bit of thyme and basil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is a bit crisp and the sauce is bubbling.