Very Berry Pie
A perfectly tender & flaky homemade pie crust filled with a sweet and gooey strawberry and blueberry filling.
Author: Sprinklesomesugar/Photo credit to sprinklesomesugar.com
- 1 recipe for Homemade Pie Crust my recipe makes a double crust; 1 for top and one for bottom
- *Pie Filling*
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3¾ cups strawberries sliced in half twice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs unsalted butter cut into 5 smaller pieces
- *1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 egg + 2 tbs milk*
- ½ tbs granulated sugar
- Prepare my homemade pie crust recipe following the instructions in the post linked in the ingredient list with step-by-step photos.
- If you are using my recipe, you should have your first half of dough prepared, pressed into your pie plate and chilled (keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use). The second half should be rolled out waiting in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. If you are using a store-bought crust, you will need to lightly grease your pie plate and press the first pie crust into your pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon and corn starch together very well.
- In a large bowl, place berries and sprinkle with the corn starch mixture. Stir to combine very well so all the berries are evenly coated. Allow the berry mixture to rest for 10 minutes to allow the natural juices to flow a bit and thicken up slightly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pie crust and spread it into an even layer. Dot with butter pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your second half of dough 1" larger than the size of your pie plate. Using a pizza cutter or something similar, cut long, thin strips abut 1" wide. This is going to be your lattice crust. Arrange the strips on top and weave them over and under each other, lifting back strips as needed. Press the edges to meet the bottom crust. Using a small paring knife, cut off excess dough. Alternatively, you can just lay the second crust on top, cut a few vent holes in the center, trim the edges and crimp them together.
- Before baking, brush the top of crust lightly with the egg/milk mixture and sprinkle with sugar. You also will want to use a pie shield or wrap some foil around the edges because they will burn very quickly. Bake pie for 45-50 minutes. Remove the shield during the last 15 minutes so the edges can catch up with the rest of the pie.
- Allow pie to rest for at least 2 full hours before cutting into it to give it time to set up properly.
- This Very Berry Pie will stay fresh for up to 5 days stored tightly in the refrigerator