UKRAINIAN MUSHROOM SOUP
It's a Ukrainian Mushroom Soup. After you take the first sip of it, you'll instantly feel cozy and warm. Classic autumn soup with a ton of flavor.
Author: Lavenderandmacarons/Photo credit to lavenderandmacarons.com
- 4 c vegetable broth
- ▢2 medium potatoes diced
- ▢2 tbsp olive oil
- ▢1 large onion finely minced
- ▢1 small carrot chopped
- ▢8 oz Portobello, Crimini or Shiitake mushrooms sliced (see the post above for mushroom recommendations)
- ▢1 tsp thyme
- ▢1 c half and half* see notes
- ▢3 cloves garlic
- ▢1 tsp salt
- ▢¼ tsp pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté stirring from time to time until onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a plate and add mushrooms. Cook stirring occasionally until liquid evaporates and mushrooms start to brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add vegetable stock to a large stockpot and bring it to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sautéed onion, carrot, ¾ of all mushrooms, 1 tsp of thyme, 1 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp pepper and cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Add 1 cup of half and half, bring soup to a boil, add 3 cloves of garlic pushed through a garlic press and remove soup from the heat.
- Using an immersion or stand blender, puree the soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the remaining mushrooms and serve with a crusty baguette