The Best Homemade Hot Chocolate
There is nothing better than a warm cup of hot chocolate in a cold day. This is a rich, smooth, and creamy hot chocolate made with bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, milk, and a splash of vanilla extract. Top is off with marshmallows, whipped cream, or a dash of cinnamon for the perfect cup.
Author: Willcookforsmiles/Photo credit to willcookforsmiles.com
- 3 cups 2% milk (may also use whole milk)
- 4 oz bittersweet baking chocolate bar chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chop the chocolate bar into small pieces.
- Heat up milk in a sauce pot, over medium heat, until hot but not simmering.
- Use a fine strainer or a mesh sugar shaker to sift in the cocoa powder to ensure that there are no clumps.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and add chocolate, sugar, and vanilla extract. Slowly continue whisking as chocolate is melts and incorporates into milk.
- When milk starts to simmer, lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for a few minutes. Make sure to slowly stir from time to time.
- Take off heat and serve.