SPICY TUNA ONIGIRI
Spicy Tuna Onigiri. Rice balls wrapped in roasted seaweed and stuffed with creamy spicy mayo tuna. A simple and satisfying snack, breakfast, or quick meal on the go. Great as picnic food too!
Author: Christieathome/Photo credit to christieathome.com
- 240 g sushi rice uncooked (or 1 ½ rice cooker cups)
- ½ or 2 sheets nori this is based on personal preference
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black sesame seeds Optional for garnish
- Water to moisten hands and rice paddle
- Spicy tuna filling:
- 104 grams canned tuna drained of oil or water
- 1 ½ tbsp Japanese mayo (normal mayo will work too)
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- Rinse your rice. Using your rice cooker or a pot, cook your rice as how you normally would. After it’s cooked, scoop the rice into a large bowl and season with salt. Mix well. Cover and let it cool to room temperature. Feel free to use leftover rice by reheating it in the microwave for 90 seconds covered.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together strained canned tuna, Japanese mayo and sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- Lay out a large fresh sheet of cling film (about 15 x 15 inches) on a clean surface where the film will cling.
- Moisten your rice paddle with water. Divide your cooked rice into four equal portions. Scoop one portion of the rice into the center of the cling film. Spread out evenly into a circle, about ½ – ¾ inch thick.
- Divide your spicy tuna mayo mixture into four equal portions. Scoop a portion into the center of the rice.
- Lift the corners of the cling film and twist into a ball, pushing the filling into the center of the rice ball.
- Gently flatten the rice ball until it’s about 2 inches thick. Then shape into a triangle using the L-shape of your thumb and pointer finger until you’re satisfied with the shape.
- Remove your nori from its packaging. Fold the sheet into half vertically and cut or gently tear at the fold. Then fold one of the halve sheets into half and fold again. Cut into 4 vertical strips. ***You can also use half a sheet of nori per rice ball (it’s up to you!)***
- Remove the triangle rice ball from the cling film and stick the rough side of the seaweed sheet on the base of the ball starting from the middle down. Garnish with black sesame seeds (optional). Enjoy!