Shrimp & Bacon Corn Chowder
When it comes to warm and comforting soups, this chowder takes the lead.
Author: Delish/Photo credit to theblondcook.com
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 c. frozen corn
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pot and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- To same pot, add shrimp. Season with paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until opaque, 2 minutes. Remove from pot and keep warm.
- To same pot, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add flour and stir until onion is well coated. Slowly whisk in broth. Add water, potatoes, and thyme and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until potatoes are fork tender, 15 minutes.
- Add corn, heavy cream, and green onions to pot and bring to a simmer. Add bacon and shrimp and cook until warmed through, 5 minutes.