Risotto Rice is the most decadent thing you'll eat all week.
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ c. arborio rice
- Kosher salt
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped basil
- In a small saucepan bring broth and 3 cups of water to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir rice into onion mixture and season with 1½ teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Pour wine into rice mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, until almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium and pour a few ladlefuls of warm broth into skillet and cook, stirring gently until broth is absorbed. Continue to cook, repeating adding a few ladlefuls of broth and stirring until broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is al dente, about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, lemon juice, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with chives and basil and more Parmesan before serving.