Popcorn shrimp should be two things: Easy to make and easy to eat. This shrimp is certainly both! With a homemade spicy tartar sauce, they are completely addictive and you'll want to just keep poppin' them in your mouth!
Author: Delish/Photo credit to delish.com
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- FOR THE SPICY TARTAR SAUCE
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped dill pickle
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper. Place a wire cooling rack over a large baking sheet and line with paper towels.
- Place flour, eggs, and panko in 3 separate shallow bowls. Stir Old Bay into panko and whisk milk into eggs.
- Working one at a time, dip shrimp in flour, then egg, and then panko, pressing to coat. In a large pot over medium heat, add enough oil to come 1” up the sides. Heat oil to 375°. Working in batches, add shrimp and cook until golden and cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove from oil and place on prepared baking sheet. Immediately, top with more salt. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Make sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickles, capers, mustard, hot sauce, and lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve shrimp warm with spicy tartar sauce and lemon wedges.