Plum Upside-Down Cake
This beautiful Plum Upside-Down Cake features plums in a delicious butterscotch sauce on top of a tender spiced cake. The cake recipe is easy to make and can be used to make a variety of upside-down cakes. Try this recipe with nectarines, peaches, pineapple, and even blueberries.
Author: Sweetandsavourypursuits/Photo credit to sweetandsavourypursuits.com
- Topping (Plum Layer)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 4-5 fresh plums you'll need enough plums to cover the bottom of an 8 inch pan, pitted and thinly sliced.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream at room temperature, I used full-fat
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger optional
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and heat oven to 325ºF.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter to an 8 inch cake pan. While the oven is preheating, place the pan in the oven to melt the butter. Add ⅓ cup brown sugar to the pan and spread it so that it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Arrange the sliced plums in concentric circles and overlapping the slices slightly. Set the pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and brown sugar and beat on medium-high for 3 minutes or until mixture is fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until blended.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before gradually adding the flour mixture on low-speed. Once the flour has been incorporated, increase the speed of the mixer and beat until batter is smooth, don't over-beat the batter.
- Spoon batter into the pan and spread it gently and evenly onto the plums.
- Bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before running a knife along the side of the pan. Place a serving plate over the cake pan and invert cake onto the plate.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature. Cake can be served plain or with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.