Pasta Pomodoro: Best enjoyed outside with a mound of grated Parmesan.
Author: Delish/Photo credit to onelovelylife.com
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 4 c.)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, plus more for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain.
- In another large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes and cook until juices are released. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch red pepper flakes. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Add spaghetti and ¼ cup pasta water. Toss to combine. Add more pasta water to bring sauce together as needed.
- Garnish with more basil and Parmesan before serving.