Italian Meatballs with Ricotta (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
There’s nothing like the smell of homemade meatballs cooking in the kitchen, and these tender beef meatballs enhanced with ricotta, pecorino and other classic ingredients are no exception.
Author: Prouditaliancook/Photo credit to prouditaliancook.com
- 1.5 lbs. organic ground beef, 85% lean 15% fat
- 1 egg
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 very generous heaping tablespoons ricotta, look for a good quality supermarket ricotta, not the over the counter deli type which holds a lot of moisture.
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed or grated on a microplane
- 1 large handful of grated pecorino romano and 1 large handful of Italian parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 good quality jar of marinara, preferably homemade
- basil for garnish
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together well. Before you form mixture into balls, fry off a little bit of the meatball mix, this way you can really check for the right seasoning. Sometimes you need more grated cheese, pepper, salt, parsley and this way you'll be able to adjust to your liking.
- Drizzle olive oil in a nonstick skillet and when oil is hot drop your formed meatballs into the pan and caramelize on all sides, no need to worry about cooking it all through, just make sure to get a nice crust all around.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spoon some marinara into the bottom of a casserole dish, add the meatballs, then spoon some sauce on top of each one as well.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.