Homemade Filet-O-Fish (BAKED!!)
Homemade McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish burger! An epic fish burger that tastes remarkably similar to the real deal with the added bonus that it’s bigger, you know what goes in it, and it’s healthier ’cause it’s BAKED!! (Though you can totally fry it)
Author: Recipetineats/Photo credit to recipetineats.com
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Note 1)
- ▢400 - 500 g / 0.8 - 1 lb white fish fillets , flat / thin (I used Ling, Note 2)
- ▢4 soft buns , brioche recommended (Note 3)
- ▢4 slices processed cheese (Note 4)
- ▢Oil spray (I use olive oil)
- DREDGE BATTER (NOTE 5):
- ▢1 egg
- ▢1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ▢1 tbsp dijon mustard (or other mustard)
- ▢1 tbsp flour
- ▢1/2 tsp salt
- ▢Black pepper
- TARTARE SAUCE:
- ▢1 cup / 220g mayonnaise
- ▢1 tbsp dill pickle / gherkin/ cornichon , very finely chopped
- ▢1 tsp fresh parsley , chopped*
- ▢1 tsp capers , drained and finely chopped*
- ▢1.5 tbsp lemon juice , fresh (or cider vinegar)
- ▢1 tsp white sugar
- ▢1/4 tsp salt
- TARTARE SAUCE:
- Mix ingredients in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes+.
- TOAST BREADCRUMBS:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a tray. Spray with oil directly down, not from side.
- Bake for 3 - 5 minutes until golden. Immediately transfer to bowl.
- Brush tray clean, spray with oil.
- CRUMBING / BAKING:
- Cut fish fillets into square-ish shapes slightly larger than the buns (they shrink when cooked).
- Mix Batter ingredients in a bowl.
- Carefully coat fish in batter (handle with care, fish fillets can be delicate).
- Place in breadcrumbs. Use other hand to cover top and sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. Transfer to tray. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes until fish is cooked through. Immediately top with cheese - allow residual heat to make it semi melt (do not oven melt processed cheese, you get a plasticy film!).
- Cut buns in half, microwave for 20 seconds to warm through (microwave = stays soft).
- Top with fish and cheese, dollop with tartare sauce. Devour!