Fried Kimchi Rice Balls
Balls of deep-fried kimchi fried rice packed with mozzarella cheese may just change your life.
Author: Tastemade/Photo credit to tastemade.com
- 1½ cups steamed white rice
- ½ cup kimchi, chopped
- 3 tablespoons kimchi liquid
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste (gochujang)
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ sheet nori, shredded
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- Canola or vegetable oil for pan
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high. Add kimchi and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then stir in rice, kimchi liquid, and red pepper paste and cook for another few minutes.
- Add scallions, sesame oil, nori, and sesame seeds. Stir to combine and cook well. Set aside to cool.
- Wet your hands and take about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and create a well in the middle.
- Place a cube of cheese and wrap the rice around to form a ball. Continue the process and place the balls on a tray.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil to 375°F in a pot or deep fryer.
- Prep the dredging station: flour in one dish, egg in another, and panko in a third dish.
- Working in batches of 4-5, roll each ball in the flour, egg mixture, and then the panko. Fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on a baking rack lined with paper towels.