French Onion Hot Dogs
French Onion Hot Dogs are just like your favorite French Onion Soup, but in a handy bun and extra delicious because it's a hot dog!!
Author: Ourlifetastesgood/Photo crdit to ourlifetastesgood.com
- Caramelized Onions (click here for the recipe and how-to)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 all-natural hot dogs such as Thumann's or Applegate brands
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 6 hot dog buns
- Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Start by caramelizing the onions. Click here for my recipe and how-to. This will take an hour, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time or make them up ahead of time and reheat
- To cook the hot dogs, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute hot dogs in skillet until well browned on all sides and cooked through. It should only take about 7-10 minutes.
- Prepare the garlic butter while the hot dogs are cooking by combining 4 tablespoons butter with 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic and a pinch of salt in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about a minute to melt the butter and soften the garlic.
- Spread each hot dog bun with the melted garlic butter and toast under the broiler until very lightly toasted. Remember to leave the oven door ajar when broiling and watch them carefully so they don't burn!
- Top each bun with a hot dog, and a generous heaping of caramelized onions. Be sure to divide the onions evenly among the hot dogs you are making.
- Pile on the shredded Gruyere cheese. I used about a tablespoon or two per dog, but go with how much or how little you prefer. There are no rules here, just deliciousness!
- Place the hot dogs on a foil lined baking sheet. Melt the cheese under the broiler. Again, remember to leave the oven door ajar and watch them closely! The cheese will melt quickly. Be sure to remove it from the oven before it burns!
- Sprinkle on some fresh thyme and enjoy!