DUMP-AND-BAKE ALOHA CHICKEN AND RICE
This Dump-and-Bake Aloha Chicken and Rice is an entire dinner that cooks in one dish! With just 10 minutes of prep you can stir together uncooked rice, chicken, pineapple, bell pepper, onion, and a sweet-and-savory sauce that's finished with crispy bacon. Serve the easy, Hawaiian-inspired meal with a simple green salad, broccoli, or a loaf of crusty bread. It tastes like chicken and pineapple fried rice -- without the work!
Author: Theseasonedmom/Photo credit to theseasonedmom.com
- ½ cup brown sugar (or decrease to ⅓ cup or ¼ cup of brown sugar for a less-sweet dish)
- ½ cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups less sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup diced onion (I use frozen diced onion for a shortcut)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits in juice, not drained
- 2 cups cooked, shredded or diced chicken (such as the meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions, chives, or fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In the prepared dish (or in a separate bowl), whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and chicken broth. Add uncooked rice, onion, bell pepper, and pineapple (with its juice).
- Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Uncover the dish and use a fork to fluff the rice. At this point, the rice should be almost tender and most of the liquid in the dish should be absorbed. If the rice is still very firm, or if there's still a lot of sauce in the dish, cover and return it to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, or until the rice is just about done.
- Stir in the cooked chicken. Sprinkle the cooked, chopped bacon on top.
- Return the dish to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is warmed through, the rice is completely tender, and the bacon is crispy.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, chives, or herbs, if desired.