Golden Curried Rice packs a little bit of heat and whole lotta FLAVOR
Author: Delish/Photo credit to simply-delicious-food.com
- 4 tbsp. ghee or butter
- 30 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 large red onion, diced, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2½ tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 c. peas (optional)
- Toasted cashews, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Freshly sliced red chilis, for serving
- Yogurt, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt ghee. Add curry leaves and fry until translucent and crispy, then remove and set aside.
- Add to pot most of the onion, reserving ¼ cup for topping, and let cook until semi-translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spices and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onions start to caramelize, about 4 minutes more.
- Add rice and stir constantly until grains are toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice is tender, about 17 minutes minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let covered pot stand for 5 minutes before removing the lid. Fluff rice gently with a fork, then fold in peas.
- Top each serving with cashews, fresh chile, the remaining red onions, cilantro, crispy curry leaves, and yogurt before serving.