Crispy Oven Fried Fish
So much better than frozen fish sticks! This Crispy Oven Fried Fish gets super crunchy and will be a new favorite for kids and adults alike.
Author: Savorynothings/Photo credit to savorynothings.com
- For the Breading:
- ▢1 cup all-purpose flour
- ▢¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ▢2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- ▢1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ▢2 teaspoons ground paprika
- ▢½ teaspoon dried onion powder
- ▢½ teaspoon dried garlic powder
- ▢¼ teaspoon baking powder
- For the eggs
- ▢2 large eggs
- For the fish
- ▢1 pound thick white fish fillet (I prefer cod cut into pieces, I do about 8-10 pieces)
- For the pan
- ▢¼ cup unsalted butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 430°F. Put a dark-colored roaster OR baking sheet in the oven to heat it up – the pan you use to bake the fish on needs to be hot to melt the butter on!
- Make breading: Mix all ingredients for the breading in a shallow dish.
- Prep eggs: Add eggs to a SEPARATE shallow dish and beat well.
- Bread fish: Dip fish into breading to lightly coat. THEN coat fish with egg. FINALLY, coat fish with breading again, this time you can really pack on as much as will stick! (Just place breaded fish pieces on a plate until you’ve breaded them all.)
- Melt butter: Remove the pan from the oven – careful, it’s hot! Add 3 tablespoons of the butter to the pan to melt. Spread all over the pan and put the fish pieces on.
- Bake: Bake the fish for 10 minutes. Flip, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and finish baking for 5-10 minutes or until the coating is crispy and the fish is cooked through. Finish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish: Let the fish pieces rest on the pan for 5 minutes after baking, then serve immediately.