CRISPY DILL CHICKEN SANDWICH
Skip the drive thru line and learn how to make the best crispy chicken sandwich at home! Crispy baked or fried chicken seasoned with dill and piled high with lettuce and crunchy dill pickles, topped with a creamy Greek Yogurt Ranch sauce. It’s the perfect picnic sandwich!
Author: Yellowblissroad/Photo credit to yellowblissroad.com
- Dill Pickle Ranch Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix half of a packet
- 6 ounces Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 2 teaspoons fresh
- 8 sliced dill pickles
- 2 teaspoons pickle juice
- Chicken Sandwich
- ½ pound chicken breast (2 small breasts) pounded to ½-inch thick
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large sandwich buns
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 16 sliced dill pickles
- Dill Pickle Ranch Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (Can be used right away if necessary, but flavor only gets better with time). Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. If using full sized chicken breasts, pound to a uniform thickness, about ½ inch or so to ensure even cooking. Cut larger pieces in half if necessary so they'll fit on the sandwich buns.
- Set a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- Prepare three shallow containers (like pie pans) as follows: Flour and dried dill whisked to combine in the first pan, eggs and milk whisked to combine in the second pan, Panko breadcrumbs in the third pan.
- Dip 1 piece of chicken into flour mixture until completely covered, shaking off any excess. Then dip into egg mixture, and then Panko, making sure to press crumbs into the chicken. Set aside and repeat with second chicken breast.
- For frying, heat about ½ cup vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Carefully place room temperature chicken in the hot oil and fry for about 3-4 minutes per side, until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to the wire rack.
- To bake instead, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, top with a baking rack if you have it, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken on the rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping once after about 10 minutes to ensure even crisping on both sides. If chicken doesn't brown enough, broil for a couple of minutes. Spraying the chicken with a butter flavored cooking spray before baking can also help with crisping.
- Allow chicken to rest and cool slightly before assembling sandwiches.
- Sandwich Assembly
- Heat buns in the microwave or under the broiler of your oven. Spread a tablespoon of the Greek Yogurt sauce on the bottom bun, then top with crispy chicken, shredded lettuce sliced pickles. Spread more of the sauce on the top bun and place on top of the sandwich. Serve immediately.