Churros with chilli-chocolate dip recipe
The ultimate way to round off a Mexican-themed sharing feast, these delicious churros are fried until golden and crisp, before being coated in sugar and served alongside a velvety dipping sauce of fiery chilli-chocolate. See method
Author: Realfood.tesco/Photo credit to realfood.tesco.com
- 125g (4oz) granulated sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1ltr (1¾pt) vegetable oil
- For the chilli-chocolate sauce
- 110g (3¾oz) 45% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 110ml (3¾fl oz) double cream
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, plus extra to garnish
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Put 75g (3oz) of the sugar on a plate and set aside. Put the remaining sugar, butter and 250ml (8fl oz) cold water in a medium saucepan with a pinch of salt. Over a medium heat, stir the mixture constantly until the butter is melted, then bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, then add the flour and baking powder. Beat well until combined. Add the egg and beat until glossy and smooth. Spread the mixture onto a plate and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile,make the sauce by combining the dark chocolate, syrup and double cream in a medium pan over a low heat. Stir until the chocolate has melted and a glossy sauce has formed. Add the chilli and cinnamon, then remove from the heat. Keep warm.
- Pour the oil into a large, deep sauté pan (25cm x 7cm) and heat to 180°C. If you don't have a digital thermometer, you can test the oil by putting in a chunk of bread; the temperature is right when it takes 60 seconds to brown.
- Meanwhile, line a large baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Attach a star nozzle to a large piping bag, then spoon the cooled dough into the bag.
- Once the oil is hot enough, pipe 3 x 12cm strips of dough vertically into the oil, pinching the end of each strip to release. Cook for 2-3 minutes, gently turning once with a slotted metal spoon.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and transfer to the baking tray to drain. Leave for 1-2 minutes, then roll in the remaining sugar to serve. Continue until you have made 18 churros in all.
- Garnish the chocolate sauce with chilli flakes. Serve the warm churros in a dish alongside the sauce for dipping.