Chunky Portabella Mushroom Veggie Burgers
The Best Damn Chunky Portabella Veggie Burgers on the planet! Portabella mushrooms, broccoli, black beans, and seasoning make this a burger even meat lovers can’t resist! This burger is packed full of veggies and seasonings that make it taste like a real beef burger! Whether you’re a vegetarian or a carnivore you’ll love this burger!
Author: Thekitchenwhisperer/Photo credit to thekitchenwhisperer.net
- 2 cups Portobello mushrooms, cubed (smaller pieces); gills removed *see note about sauteing first.
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and divided
- 1 cup minced broccoli, fresh only
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- 3 XL eggs, beaten
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbl Panko or Gluten Free Panko
- 1 Tbl Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire *for full vegetarian or vegan style use one that does not contain anchovies like this one
- 2 Tbl minced garlic
- ¾ cup fresh grated Parmesan *Look for vegetarian or vegan Parmesan cheese if you do not eat animal products
- Olive oil
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a masher (chunks are OK).
- Next, add in the mushrooms (preferred sauteed), the rest of the beans, broccoli, garlic, onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning.
- Mix just until coated.
- Add in the eggs, cheese and bread crumbs and mix gently with a large spoon until the mixture is combined.
- Set aside while you place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 Tbl of oil.
- Once the oil starts to shimmer (about a minute or two), using dampened hands (the mixture will stick to you if you don’t), scoop a ½ cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t add just a Tbl more of bread crumbs.
- Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
- Serve with hummus, guacamole or steak sauce.