Chocolate Merlot Cupcakes
Wine + chocolate = everything we ever wanted.
Author: Delish/Photo credit to foodingredients.treetop.com
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 box Devils food cake mix
- ¾ c. merlot wine
- ½ c. water
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 6 c. powdered sugar, divided
- 1 c. fresh cherries, pitted and diced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ c. merlot wine
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pink food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cake mix, wine, water, oil, and eggs. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter with half of the powdered sugar until fluffy. Add cherries and beat until combined. Add wine and salt and beat until incorporated, then add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Stir in food color if desired.
- Transfer frosting a piping bag fit with a round attachment. Frost cupcakes and garnish with cherries.