- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. pasta, such as orecchiette or shells
- 2 c. shredded cheddar
- Freshly chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until tender, then add garlic and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return pot to heat and add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, chicken broth, and pasta and bring to a simmer. Simmer until pasta is al dente, 14 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar until just melted.
- Garnish with chives and serve.