Chicken Fajitas Casserole
This savory, cheesy Chicken Fajitas Casserole is a staple chicken dinner recipe in our house. It’s such an easy way to make deconstructed chicken fajitas!
Author: Easyweeknightrecipes/Photo credit to easyweeknightrecipes.com
- 1 pound cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened, cut up into pieces for easier mixing
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Shred the baked chicken breasts and then transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add strips of peppers and onions to the hot oil; sprinkle with salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and add to the chicken. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, HALF of shredded cheese, fajitas seasoning mix, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add sour cream mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer chicken mixture to previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve and enjoy!