Fresh cherries baked in a custard-like base with slivered almonds, almond and vanilla extract. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
Author: Simplyrecipes/Photo credit to simplyrecipes.com
- 2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar (can reduce to ¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole milk)
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract (can sub 2 teaspoons of Amaretto)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Butter and flour baking dish, scatter with cherries and slivered almonds:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and lightly flour a 9X9 or 10X7 baking dish. Scatter the cherries and slivered almonds over the bottom of the dish.
- Make batter with eggs, sugar, salt, and flour:
- Whisk the eggs and sugars together until smooth. Whisk in the salt and flour until smooth.
- Add the milk, almond extract, and vanilla extract:
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into the baking dish over the cherries and slivered almonds
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Check about halfway through the baking and if the top is getting well browned tent it loosely with aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven to cool:
- When you pull it put of the oven it will wiggle a bit which is normal. Place on a wire rack to cool. The clafoutis will have puffed up quite a bit and will deflate while cooling.
- Dust with powdered sugar:
- When cool dust the clafoutis with powdered sugar. Serve.