Cheesy Ground Beef & Cauliflower Casserole
Ground beef and cauliflower combine to create a hearty weeknight casserole that both kids and adults will love. Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream.
Author: Eatingwell/Photo credit to eatingwell.com
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added petite-diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- Step 1
- Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler to high.
- Step 2
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cauliflower; cook, stirring and breaking the beef up into smaller pieces, until it is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and chipotle; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced and the cauliflower is tender, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Step 3
- Sprinkle cheese over the beef mixture and top with sliced jalapeños. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.