CAST IRON PIZZA RECIPE
Homemade buttery, thick and chewy homemade pizza baked in a cast iron skillet for the best cast iron pizza. This is the best crispy and crunchy pizza crust for this skillet pizza.
Author: Afarmgirlskitchen/Photo credit to afarmgirlskitchen.com
- Pizza Dough
- ▢1 cup warm milk
- ▢½ cup lukewarm water
- ▢2 ¼ teaspoons dry yeast
- ▢2 large eggs room temperature
- ▢2 tablespoons honey
- ▢4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ▢5 to 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cast Iron Pizza
- In either a saucepan or in the microwave, warm the milk. Just slightly warmer than lukewarm.
- Pour the warmed milk into a large mixing bowl of a stand-mixer. Add the lukewarm water, yeast and honey and stir with a spoon or whisk. Let sit for 3 or 4 minutes. Then add the eggs and olive oil and stir.
- Add the flour and salt, mix using the beater attachment. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula or rubber table scraper. Beat on medium to high speed for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough gently for 5 minutes or so. Shape the dough into a round. Spray the mixer bowl with cooking spray or coat with a touch of olive oil. Place the dough back into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm kitchen for 1 hour or until doubled. Punch down and let rise again, another hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and cut into 4 even pieces. Shaped into rounds and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Gently roll out a one piece of dough using a rolling pin into a sphere slightly larger than the bottom of your skillet. Try and keep the edges of the dough slightly thicker than the center. Grease a 10 or 12-inch cast-iron skillet with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Place the rolled out dough into the cast-iron skillet. Use your fingers to gently gather the edges and form a crust edge. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour. Gently brush the edges of the crust with an egg wash before baking.
- Spoon sauce in the center and spread out towards the crust edges with the back of a tablespoon. Sprinkle with cheese and any toppings you desire. Bake in a preheated 500 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.