Candy Corn Ghost Cupcakes
Mimic the layers of candy corn you love so much with these adorable cupcakes.
Author: Delish/Photo credit to bakersroyale.com
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1⅓ c. all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. skim milk
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 4 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- 1 drop orange food coloring
- Royal icing eyes, for garnish
- Make cupcakes: Heat oven to 350°. Fill cupcake pan with liners and set aside, then sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined, then scrape down bowl and beat in egg white. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Alternate adding flour and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Evenly divide batter into three separate bowls and color two portions, one with yellow food coloring and the other with orange food coloring. Divide batter evenly among liners until each cup is three-quarters full.
- Bake until tops are golden and spring back when slightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat butter until slightly whipped. Add 1 cup powdered sugar at a time, beating on low until slightly blended, about 5 seconds. Increase speed to high and beat until fully incorporated, 5 to 7 seconds more, then repeat with remaining powdered sugar. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream and vanilla and beat to combine (add additional heavy cream as needed to achieve desired consistency), then add salt and beat to combine. Evenly divide frosting into three separate bowls and color two portions, one with yellow and the other with orange. Fill three pastry bags with each color. (Fit yellow and orange pastry bag with a closed star tip; fit white pastry bag with a round tip.) Pipe three layers with each color onto cupcakes, and finish with royal icing eyes.