Bougatsa – Crispy Filo Pastry Filled With Warm Custard Cream
Bougatsa is a very crispy pastry dessert filled with a velvety custard cream. Always served warm sprinkled with lots of icing sugar and cinnamon.
Author: Realgreekrecipes/Photo credit to realgreekrecipes.com
- 1 package phyllo pastry sheets 450 grams
- 200 grams butter melted
- 1 liter fresh milk
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40 grams cornstarch
- 4 large eggs
- icing sugar
- ground cinnamon
- For The Cream:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a cooking pot add milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Heat over high heat.
- Once milk reaches a boiling point remove from heat. Using a ladle, start pouring milk slowly, into the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Incorporate half the milk into the eggs and then transfer mixture back to the pot.
- Transfer pot back to the heat and keep whisking until cream thickens.
- Set cream aside.
- For The Base:
- Lay open the phyllo stack on your working surface.
- Grease a 15x10 inch / 38x25 cm baking dish with melted butter.
- Take one phyllo sheet and gather it up together (to make it look wavy) to the corner of the dish. Repeat process with 4 more phyllo sheets to cover the whole bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle using the ⅓ of the melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 392°F.
- Bake phyllo for 5 minutes or until it gets a golden color.
- Remove from oven and add the cream evenly on top.
- Add the remaining phyllo sheets exactly the same way as you did for the base. You may tear a phyllo sheet apart in order to fill empty spaces.
- Drizzle remaining butter on top.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until phyllo looks crispy and golden brownish in color.
- Set pastry aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Dust with plenty of icing sugar and cinnamon. Ready to cut and serve!