BO KHO: SPICY VIETNAMESE BEEF STEW WITH NOODLES
Bo Kho is a spicy and flavorful Vietnamese beef stew that makes for a pretty epic bowl of noodle soup when you’ve maybe had your fill of pho or are looking for something a little different.
Author: Еhewoksoflife/Photo credit to thewoksoflife.com
- FOR THE BEEF:
- ▢2 to 2 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck or brisket
- (cut into 1½-inch chunks)
- ▢2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ▢3 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- ▢5 tablespoons fish sauce
- ▢2½ teaspoons five-spice powder
- ▢1½ teaspoons brown sugar
- FOR THE REST OF THE STEW:
- ▢3 tablespoons oil
- ▢1 stalk lemongrass (cut into 3-inch lengths, after removing any tough woody parts)
- ▢2 stalks lemongrass (minced, after removing any tough woody parts)
- ▢8 cloves garlic (minced)
- ▢1 onion (sliced thinly)
- ▢4 tablespoons tomato paste
- ▢8 cups water
- ▢2 cups pure coconut water/juice
- ▢2 star anise
- ▢1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ▢1 teaspoon chili powder
- ▢1 teaspoon ground annatto (optional)
- ▢1 tablespoon paprika
- ▢8 large carrots (peeled and cut on the bias into 1½ -inch chunks)
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ▢3 tablespoons chili oil (or to taste)
- ▢wide rice noodles or egg noodles
- ▢¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ▢1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- ▢1/2 cup Thinly sliced raw onion
- ▢Lime wedges
- First marinate the beef. Combine the beef with the garlic, ginger, fish sauce, five-spice powder, and brown sugar until each piece is evenly coated. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Next, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the stalks of lemongrass and allow them to infuse the oil for 1 minute. Next, add the minced lemongrass and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then add all of the beef to the pot, and brown evenly on all sides. Add the tomato paste.
- Stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the water, coconut water, star anise, ground black pepper, chili powder, annatto, and paprika. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- After an hour has passed, add the carrots, salt, soy sauce, and chili oil. Simmer for another 40 minutes.
- To serve, remove the large lemongrass stalks and any star anise pods you can fish out. Cook your noodles per package instructions, transfer to bowls, and ladle the soup over the top.
- Garnish with cilantro, Thai basil, and raw onion, and serve with some lime wedges on the side.