- 12 ounces Medjool or Halawy dates – as plump and fresh as you can find
- 1½ cups of hot water, just below boiling
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Soak the dates in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes: When ready their skin should easily to peel off with your fingers. Strain the dates from the soaking liquid, reserving the liquid.
- Peel the dates and remove the seeds: Peel the skins off all the dates with your fingers. Split them open (you should be able to just pinch them open; otherwise use a paring knife). Remove the pit.
- Puree the dates until creamy: Put the dates into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the vanilla, 2 tablespoons of the reserved soaking water, and salt. Process until very smooth, 5 to 10 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl every couple of minutes. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little water until you reach a smooth, spoonable consistency.
- For a creamier sauce, add coconut cream: Add the coconut cream at the very end and pulse 10 times to incorporate.
- Taste and adjust as needed: Taste the sauce. Add lemon juice or more salt if needed.
You'll want to put this Date Caramel Sauce on everything. We love it on fresh fruit, over yogurt, and even on our toast! It's nutritious AND delicious.Printable Recipe –> https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/date_caramel_sauce/
Posted by Simply Recipes on Thursday, November 1, 2018