Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
We took everything you love about traditional stuffed cabbage and turned it into a crowd-friendly, no-fuss casserole.
Recipe type: Main
- Cooking spray
- 1 large head cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 c. rice
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9"-x-13" baking dish with cooking spray. In a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add ground beef, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet. Stir in tomato paste until beef is coated, then add chopped tomatoes, rice, and 2 cups broth. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent rice from scorching. Gradually stir in cabbage and cook until slightly wilted, 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup broth.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover dish with foil.
- Bake until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.