Unicorn Cake Truffles
Put some magic in your Friday!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 (15¼ ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- pink gel food coloring
- purple gel food coloring
- 4 tablespoons white frosting, divided
- 24 ounces white melting chocolate
- gold luster dust
- 20 sour rainbow belt candies
- food coloring, writing pens (pink & black)
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
- (1½-inch-diameter) ice cream scoop & 20 to 25 popsicle sticks.
- FOR THE CAKE POPS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together boxed cake mix, eggs, water and oil until well combined.
- Divide the batter in half. Color one half with pink food coloring and the other half with purple.
- Pour the pink batter into a prepared pan and the purple into the other. Bake for about 35 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, crumble each cake into separate bowls. Add 2 tablespoons frosting to each bowl. Using your hands, mix the frosting with the crumbs until it all comes together.
- Firmly press pieces of pink and purple dough into a 1½-inch ice cream scoop. Roll into a ball between palms of hands. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Chill in the fridge, about 30 minutes.
- DECORATE THE CAKE POPS:
- In a deep bowl, melt the melting chocolate in the microwave at half power using 30-second intervals.
- Dip lollipop sticks into the melted chocolate and then into the cake truffles.
- Let set 10 minutes.
- Dip the truffles into melted chocolate. Carefully tap the pop on the side of the bowl to get rid of any excess chocolate. Place on parchment paper to set.
- Roll out two cylinders of fondant 1” long ¼” wide. Spiral them together and pinch at the top to form a horn. Repeat to create 20 horns.
- Place a teaspoon of gold luster dust in a small bowl and toss the horns in the gold dust. Set aside to harden slightly.
- Roll a small amount of fondant into two pea size balls. Flatten and pinch at the top to make 2 triangle ear shapes. Repeat to make 20 sets of ears.
- Use a pink food writing pen to color a small triangle in the center of each ear.
- Twist and pull the lollipop sticks to remove them from each truffle.
- Cut 20 3-inch and 20 1-inch pieces of sour belt. Leaving ½” at the top, cut the longer belts, vertically between each color, into small strips. Cut the front of the shorter pieces into a triangle and then use small cuts inwards to create fringe.
- Use melted chocolate to attach mane to the top of each truffle. Angle the longer piece to the side so the mane can be seen in the front. Use melted chocolate to attach front hair piece.
- Use melted chocolate to attach the horn on the center top and ears on either side of the mane.
- Use black food writing pen to draw eyes, eyelashes, and nose on the truffles.