Stuffed Meatball Pie by Matthew Johnson
Cloudy with a chance of meatball pie.
Author: Matthew Johnson
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb pizza dough, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1 lb low moisture mozzarella, sliced
- 2 lb meatballs
- 2 cups caramelized onions
- 3 cups bell peppers, chopped, sauteed
- Parmesan, to serve
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cut a 1 pound ball of pizza dough in half and roll out two large discs of dough.
- Spray the inside of a springform pan with cooking spray and lay in one of the dough discs. Press the dough into the corners.
- Sprinkle the olive oil, 2 cloves of the minced garlic, salt, and pepper on the dough and brush to cover the surface. Press the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Bake until the dough is cooked and lightly golden brown, 15 minutes.
- Mix together the tomato puree, dried basil, 4 cloves of minced garlic, dried oregano, and tomato paste in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Into the partially cooked bottom layer of pizza dough, shingle a layer of mozzarella slices and then a layer of the homemade marinara sauce.
- Spiral the meatballs in the dish as tightly as possible. Cover with more marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of caramelized onions, and more sliced mozzarella.
- Add the green, yellow, and orange bell peppers on top of the mozzarella.
- Cut the second piece of dough into strips to form into a lattice pattern on top of the pie.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons more of olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, and kosher salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour, or until the dough on top is browned and the sauce, meatballs, and cheese are heated through.
- Slice the pie, serve with extra marinara sauce and grated parmesan.
Cloudy with a chance of meatball pie 😍…FULL RECIPE: https://tasty.co/recipe/stuffed-meatball-pieShop our essential products RIGHT HERE: http://bit.ly/2BR0S1D – we may make some $$ if you buy!
Posted by Tasty on Tuesday, December 26, 2017