Reese Witherspoon's Corn Bread Chili Pie
For a weekday dinner with family, you need something that will please both kids and adults and that isn’t too complicated to make.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 (1.75-oz.) packets chili seasoning
- 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 (8.5-oz.) boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ c. milk
- 1 c. frozen corn, divided
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-oz.) can kidney beans, drained
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
- Fresh salsa
- Chopped green onion
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet or sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute before adding the garlic. Sauté for another minute and add the ground beef and pork, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon and stirring until the meat is brown.
- Drain off any excess fat and stir in the chili seasoning, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Mix over medium heat for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat simmers, make the corn bread mixture: Stir together the Jiffy mix, eggs, and milk in a mixing bowl until just combined (do not overmix). Stir ½ cup of the frozen corn and the cheese into the corn bread batter and set aside. Stir the remaining ½ cup of corn and the kidney beans into the meat mixture.
- If using a baking or casserole dish, transfer the meat mixture from the stove top to the baking dish. Pour the corn bread batter over the meat mixture and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving with optional toppings such as salsa, green onion, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Reese Witherspoon says this is her FAVORITE weeknight dinner…Full recipe: http://dlsh.it/EoCzbUp
Posted by Delish on Monday, November 12, 2018