Mini Banana Bread Cakes
Your childhood favorite, except - dare we say... better?!
Recipe type: Dessert
- Banana cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Banana frosting:
- ½ banana, smashed
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Banana pudding:
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons banana extract
- Banana cake: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the mashed banana with the buttermilk. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Incorporate the dry ingredients and the banana mixture, a bit at a time, alternating until all is used and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into greased baking cups, filling halfway. Bake for 25 minutes, and allow to cool completely.
- Banana frosting: In a blender, liquify the banana and the milk. Place this mixture into a bowl and whisk in the sugar one cup at at time.
- Banana pudding: In a small saucepan, combine milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until it is thickened and bubbles form on the surface. Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat, take a small amount of the mixture and incorporate it into the beaten eggs to temper. Add the egg mixture to the pan and allow to come to a gentle boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the banana extract. Allow to cool completely in a refrigerator.
- Assembly: Using a piping bag filled with the pudding, inject a banana cake in 3 places along the bottom of the cake. Flip over. Pipe frosting onto the top of the cake and allow to rest. Repeat this for every cake and serve.
Your childhood favorite, except – dare we say… better?!Taste for Yourself: taste.md/2rdzmY3
Posted by Tastemade on Saturday, June 2, 2018